Sunday, March 21, 2010

Wish

Most of what I write here is inspired first by an image. I've always felt a little guilty as a mom for not getting more video of my children, but I'm beginning to truly understand the impact of a photograph and why I prefer still pictures. There is something about freezing time that evokes a thought, emotion or memory and causes it to linger there for a while. Everything stops in that moment allowing you to savor it. A photograph is open-ended... leaving you also to wonder what happened next, or how life goes on...and wanting a sequel! Photographs invite you to participate emotionally and develop your own interpretation of the subject. You can write your own story around the way a picture makes you feel and it will be uniquely yours.

I was looking at this dandelion photograph today. The flower itself makes me want to take a deep breath, blow and make a wish. The blue backdrop reminds me of the sky and its infinity and the privilege we have to indulge our dreams. To me, each of those little seeds represents one of those dreams, that if given the opportunity, can take root and grow. This photograph makes me feel peaceful and hopeful. It reminds me of all the possibilities in life and the gift of another day to realize them. But, that's me.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Stacey. I found you through Shutter Sisters. I love this image and your commentary surrounding it. I, too, like how a good photograph invites contemplation, and the engagement of the viewer. You did a lovely job with this image. Happy Spring to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather, thank you so much for taking the time to stop by and also to comment here. Happy spring to you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Stacey! Thanks for the wonderful comment on my furrie blog!

    I love your dandelion photo! I can't wait to further explore your blog! : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful image for spring time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So true about photographs. I too have kids and have a couple of cameras as well as video cameras at my disposal but tend to reach for my nikon d70 first. I love the was photographs can capture and evoke emotion and make it stand still.

    Your photo is one of the more interesting ones of dandelions I've seen. I love the flow of movement ... and I can almost feel the wind about to carry a seed away. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Stacey, I was just gazing at my beautiful calendar today while I was working at my desk and I want you to know how happy it made me seeing it there. Thank you, Stacey. LYS!

    ReplyDelete