Saturday, January 16, 2010

Another Good Close Look


My family is planning a trip to Florida this summer. This is a vacation long over-due for us! I was thinking about the water and white sand when this photo came to mind. Can you see it? The sand and the blue ocean with soft waves in the distance? This is actually a view of an old tractor I found along a walking trail. It was sitting off in grass with weeds grown up all around it. I'm not sure why it was left there, but I couldn't resist a closer look. So, through the tall grass I went and started snapping. Of all the photos I took, this is my favorite because it evokes something more than just the wheel of a tractor. Wouldn't that be a great way to view everything and everyone in life? Not just what we see at first glance, but from a different or closer viewpoint allowing everything else to fall away. This is only a wheel of an old tractor, but its a work of art in my eyes.

4 comments:

  1. Stace - it's what I love about macro photography there's always more there than meets the eye... I get the same sureal feeling when I fly... This is one of my favorite photos, too. xo Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abstract art is interesting because it allows artists to express their own unique view of the world. I really enjoyed reading your personal perspective on your photograph.
    It brought to mind two artists who explore the same topic of the machine in different ways.

    After the first world war artists like Ferdinand Leger assumed the qualities of industry, mechanical and scientific.
    http://www.bluetravelguide.com/photosBTG/00/00/05/51/ME0000055197_3.JPG

    Some contemporary photographers reflect the demise of the industrial age.
    http://www.edwardburtynsky.com/WORKS/Oil/Oil_Book_Large/THE_END_OF_OIL/068-TRAN_AUTO_02_06_Oil.jpg

    It's interesting to note that they worked at opposite ends (and attitudes, optimistic/pessimistic)of the twentieth century.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Sharon! Thank you so much for viewing my blog. I'm experimenting with different types of photography right now, but seem drawn back to the abstract or macro. It always ties the subject for me to people in some way..that there is always more there than what meets the eye, if you take your time and look close enough. I'm not formally trained, so I really appreciate the links you shared. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I really love what I always called abstract-y photography... which I suppose is really more macro than anything else. I even pulled out my macro at my photo shoot today but fast moving coon hounds and macros don't work as well together... *sigh*

    ReplyDelete