Monday, January 18, 2010

The Shack

Today I was a real estate appraiser. At least it started out that way. I was viewing a home (not this one!) at least 45 minutes away in the country. Assignments in the city area are much easier than rural ones.... however, the miles you get to drive between points "A" and "B" are the consolation! I always find something interesting along the way. Today I found an old shack sitting on the corner of the highway and a dirt road. It was so tiny...maybe 10'x12' at the most. Inside were two rusted beds that were similar to the portable rolling kind you get in a hotel for the kids. In the center was an overturned stove or heater of some sort. The sunken floors were merging with the dirt underneath and the roof was full of holes, open to the rafters. The best surprise was the Bible left on one of the beds. Everything in the room was so old, then there it was, with sunlight shining down upon it. Ironic. Everything old, worn-out and dirty, then this new bright blue Bible kissed with sunlight. Maybe a parallel here? On the outside of the shack, I couldn't believe the charm...the stone on the side and the brick trim around the windows and doors. This is a great example of someone making the best of what they had! I need to pay attention here, for this is a great lesson in gratitude. Someone was obviously very proud of this little shanty at one time. I wish I knew the history of this place. Maybe I should have taken the time to visit the neighbor across the road to find out...but then again, I might have been disappointed! I'm okay with my own idea of who might have dwelt here and what they were all about... and who might have been visiting lately. I'll leave it at that.



















4 comments:

  1. Hi Stacey,

    What an amazing find. The old building seems to just be brimming of stories past. The bible was a unique find too and certainly left you with something to ponder. Thanks for the photos and for sharing the story.

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Thanks for your comments! I love to shoot old houses and buildings too. I think it's the mystery of it like you were saying. That's why I love living down here and getting to capture that feeling of the old South. Which is why I also love your tractor pic. I have a few of my shots that I took of a friend in front of some old storefronts and houses on my flickr sight if you're interested. The link is on my site. How did you get the blurred effect on those, if you don't mind my askin?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Stace - I am having such a great time riding shotgun, via your blog on your adventures out and about the countryside...thank you for doing this. xo Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the info! Their lenses are really affordable; I will definitely pick one up. I just realized I didn't have my flickr link up. Oops, but I do now! AND, I passed on a blog award to ya! Check it out!

    ReplyDelete