Saturday, January 23, 2010

"The Dot" Make your mark, then see where it goes.


I bought a children's book last week - for myself! Its called "The Dot" by Peter H. Reynolds. Its about a young girl named Vashti who didn't think she was an artist. Her teacher encouraged her to just make a mark on her blank page. She did, and it was just that - a mark. A dot. It wasn't much, but it was the beginning of her creative journey. This is a very short but powerful little book that everyone should read. Its not just about art. Its about taking a step. Then another. Then seeing where it goes. Its about not getting so caught up in the details and fear of failure that you are paralyzed. I can sometimes spend too much time pondering what I want to create or photograph, that at I end up with nothing. I become so concerned about the end result when I should just be taking that first step. It seems fear and vulnerability run rampant when something beautiful is about to be born. Those feelings should probably be our first clue that we are on to something good!
In the same week of finding "The Dot" I also saw a post (thank you Kathleen Catania) with a video of Elizabeth Gilbert, author of "Eat, Pray, Love" speaking on creativity. Its amazing how it tied into the theme of "The Dot".


When my friend Julie of Prairie Thistle encouraged me to start this blog and share my photography, I felt much like Vashti and her dot. But here I am, making my little mark. And I'm excited to see where it goes.

3 comments:

  1. How crazy is that?! I just watched that Elizabeth Gilbert speech yesterday!! My friend had suggested it to me months ago, but for whatever reasons, I only watched it yesterday. Amazingness. I loved her book. Did you hear it's being made into a movie? I cannot wait to see it. Doesn't hurt that I love Julia Roberts either. Sounds like a great book, The Dot. I will have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dewin, I am continually amazed how these things work...these coincidences... when we are open to receiving them! I thought your last post about writing was right on with "The Dot" and the Elizabeth Gilbert speech.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stacey,

    The flower image is beautiful. Thanks for the info on the book. I need to seek that one out. Your writing and your photos are engaging. Your blog will be great as long as it makes you happy and reflects yourself. Happy you are here in blogland!

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete