Thursday, February 4, 2010

The Other Side of the Fence

I couln't resist putting my work away yesterday to go out and snap a few photos. We've had some snow here lately, then yesterday's freezing fog created the most beautiful giant frost on all the fences and leaves. If you've ever tried close-up or macro photography, you know it is more difficult than anyone would imagine...especially outside - if there is any wind at all. There was so much beauty all around me, but my attempts at capturing it mostly failed. My attention then turned to the neighbor's Basset Hound on the other side of the fence. How can you not love a Basset? Those long, droopy ears and sad eyes. But once again I was trying to hit a moving target. I managed to get the pup's attention, down low through some of the frost covered weeds. Finally! I got both the frost and the dog.
When I look at this image, it makes me wonder what is on his mind. Does he think my yard looks more fun than his? How many times a day or week do we have these thoughts...about the other side of the fence? And how about all life's moving targets? It seems like we are trying to hit them every day, then when we finally nail one, its all the more sweet! So, I dumped my memory card of all the images that were taken either the wrong way, or a fraction of a second too late. I'm not gonna sweat those failed attempts. I'll learn from the misses and celebrate the hits - and try not to pay too much attention to the other side of the fence.

1 comment:

  1. Stacey, I love the image and the message... I remember trying to capture a shot outside of a lovely blossom that kept swaying in the slight breeze... as you know any tiny bit of movement creates a blurred image....argh. I also have this problem when I am trying to photography my jewelry...I nudge the table and the earrings sway...

    Hope you are well, warm and with your sweet boys as you read this.... lys - Julie

    ReplyDelete