Monday, February 15, 2010

Breaking Rules


I spent some time this weekend at my home town - Mansfield, Mo. I had a few hours without the kids, so I took some time for a country drive to the cemetary where lies my Father, Grandfather and Grandmother. I don't always visit when you're supposed to - like Memorial day. There's something about commercializing my loved ones that just doesn't set well with me, and I'm not fond of those plastic flowers, either! I like to plant crocus and daffodils for them instead. And because its in the country, there are no rules that say I can't! I love that! Its really in the middle of nowhere and so very peaceful. The views are gorgeous and its quiet... Its not far from the house where my Dad was born, which is still standing today. The biggest changes from my childhood are that it has running water now and the outhouse is gone! I could write for hours with stories about weekends spent there. What I would give for more pictures from that time, and the older I get the more I'm drawn to that simpler way of life.
Now, this post isn't meant to be sad - no way! And the photo looks a little creepy, doesn't it? When I took it last year, the groundskeeper was there. His name is Freddie and he lived with his family just up the road from my Grandfather in our childhood days. He still returns to keep things nice and neat. I was using my Lensbaby to try for some interesting effects and he happened to be walking by. The old church hasn't been used in years. All the windows are broken and birds now inhabit the interior. But, I like this image for some reason. Many rules are broken here... sky is blown out, and the focus isn't good. Oh, well. Just like sometimes preferring not to visit on Memorial weekend, I enjoy breaking the rules with my camera now and then, too.

4 comments:

  1. I'm still fumbling around with my lensbaby, too - so I get the whole "do I like this?" hesitation too. But I do like this... it works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great memories. Please do share more with us!
    I think the photo is cool, but it makes the man in the background certainly mysterious. Weird?

    The lens baby is a cool aparatus. I know nothing about it. Off to google it!

    Have a great week.
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Tammy... Yes, Freddie does look mysterious! He's a very tall man, making his stride look exagerated. The Lensbaby finished it off with its blurred effect. Go to www.lensbaby.com and check out the photo gallery!

    Mansfield is the home of Laura Ingalls Wilder. I hope to get back there and take some photos of her home.

    Thanks for checking in!

    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stace - love the surreal quality of this photo. I didn't know that Mansfield was Laura Ingalls Wilder's hometown...there you go. Looking forward to future photos. From one rule bending to another - lys

    ReplyDelete